Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > Timepiece Community > Invicta Watches

Old 06-18-2009, 02:55 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Default Invicta 4469 vs. Debaufre Ocean 1

I am interested in getting one of these watches for my first automatic pro diver.

Does anyone own both and can post side by side pics and give impressions?

Any and all insights from you watch experts/enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 PM
BDWF Sr. Admin

Default Re: Invicta 4469 vs. Debaufre Ocean 1

First off, welcome to the forum, SharkyZiff!

Alas, I don't own that particular Invicta; I do own a Debaufre GMT Ocean 1, and right now it's my particular favorite. It has a very high degree of workmanship, and the 2893 movement is almost absurdly accurate. Debaufre also has a very high level of customer service as well.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

--Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer), Blade Runner
Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

Ditto on the welcome, Sharkey.
I have the 4469 with the Selitta 200 engine and I really like it....BUT....betwixt the two of them...the Invicta and the Debaufe, I'd go for the Debaufe if'n I was you...yup!!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:19 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here.

In terms of Customer Service, Quality Control, Reputation and Re-sell value, I'd pick a Debaufre over an Invicta every time. OTOH, I'm not the one buying one, so whichever one appeals to you most is the right one for you to buy.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

After much thought and way too much research on the web, I think I am leaning towards the Debaufre Ocean 1.

I currently have a 43mm Invicta 4605 Pro Diver that I picked up recently for my first automatic pro diver (from a forum sponsor) and I think it is about the ideal size for my 7 1/4" wrist. I like this watch quite a bit for the price I paid (the Miyota movement could be a little more accurate but that is really a nitpick.)

Anyone have a 42mm or 44mm Debaufre Ocean 1 and ANY 43mm Invicta in their collection that they could post picture comparisons of ??

I really want to make sure which size to look for since I recently returned both an Invicta 8926OB and an Invivta 9210 since their 40mm cases were simply too small IMO. I know returning a 8926OB is a sin!

Thanks again for everyone's help and input!!!

Now, I just need for there to be a S&D sale on an Ocean 1...
Old 06-29-2009, 11:46 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

I don't own a Debaufre, though I would like to see and handle one someday. I do own the 4469 and several variants of it including one in gunmetal. It is beautiful. This weekend, I picked up two of the new diamond models. Eight little diamonds are on the face in place of lume dots. The two cost about the same as one Debaufre. Price and value favor the Invicta.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
BDWF Sr. Admin

Waiting for the S&D Sale would be wise, Sharky. I got my GMT Ocean 1 for $350 on that sale.

In terms of size, alas, I don't own a 43mm Pro Diver; I think the 42mm would be fine, as I have about the same size wrist as you. However, the 44mm Magnum is really cool, too.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

Old 06-30-2009, 03:38 AM
BDWF Owner

This is a 42mm STEINHART OCEAN1 GMT specially produced for the Indiana Air National Guard ... Steinhart was the predecessor name forced to change on threat of lawsuit by STEINHAUSEN.

The only difference between this and a regular model is the dial: State of Indiana, Crossed Checkered Flags and an F-16 Fighting Falcon of the 113th Tactical Fighter Squadron before it was stood down in 2005.

The 'Indiana Racers' had only 20 of these made. A squadron member offered it to me for sale ..

I have willed it back to the Indiana Air National Guard on my demise ... BDWF member curlyf16 was the officer who commissioned this watch ...

The Regular Production model has the same fit and finish ...

The Diver has a Scuba bezel - rather than the timezone bi-directional bezel of the 2nd hour hand GMT ...
Old 06-30-2009, 07:28 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiehorn

This is a 42mm STEINHART OCEAN1 GMT specially produced for the Indiana Air National Guard ... Steinhart was the predecessor name forced to change on threat of lawsuit by STEINHAUSEN.

The only difference between this and a regular model is the dial: State of Indiana, Crossed Checkered Flags and an F-16 Fighting Falcon of the 113th Tactical Fighter Squadron before it was stood down in 2005.

The 'Indiana Racers' had only 20 of these made. A squadron member offered it to me for sale ..

I have willed it back to the Indiana Air National Guard on my demise ... BDWF member curlyf16 was the officer who commissioned this watch ...

The Diver has a Scuba bezel - rather than the timezone bi-directional bezel of the 2nd hour hand GMT ...
And what he forgot to tell you (which I'm sure is why he brought it up) is that Steinhart is now Debaufe.
So same watches, just a new name. Altho, you may be able to pick up a Steinhart "out there" somewhere.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 PM
BDWF Sr. Admin

Gnomonwatches.com (banner at the bottom of the page) seems to be carrying Steinhart now.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiehorn

Mikiehorn,

Nice looking Ocean 1 GMT!! I am actually an Indy native, so that design definitely speaks to me, very nice back story too.

I wonder if Debaufre will ever make the Ocean 1 GMT in the 44mm size too?! I just have a feeling that I will like the 44mm version of the Ocean 1 over the 42mm version. The 44mm should have great wrist presence!!

Keep the pics coming if anyone has them!!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjurer
Gnomonwatches.com (banner at the bottom of the page) seems to be carrying Steinhart now.
Is there any difference between a Steinhart and a Debaufre or is Debaufre simply the US arm of the company??

Some of the designs seem a bit different... Hmmmm
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyZiff
Quote:
Is there any difference between a Steinhart and a Debaufre or is Debaufre simply the US arm of the company??

Due to threat of litigation, they changed their name from Steinhart to Debaufre, IIRC. The designs are a bit different probably because they represent different eras of the same company.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:07 AM
BDWF Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyZiff
Quote:

Due to threat of litigation, they changed their name from Steinhart to Debaufre, IIRC. The designs are a bit different probably because they represent different eras of the same company.
Essentially correct ... I believe the Steinhart name continues in European distribution where they could tell Sreinhausen's lawyers ... to ...

my bad - yes - the new name in the US in indeed DeBaufre
Old 07-03-2009, 10:28 AM
BDWF Watch Addict

For standards like others stated, DeBaufre has a better reputation.

But if you're speaking of a less conventional design and not specifically the regular black dial, then the 4469.

I have a soft spot for MOP dials.
And the SW200 reputation seems to be keeping up with the standards of most ETA movements.

And you can most likely find the Invicta's for less.