Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   BDWF Forum Index Page > General Community > General

Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Default What movements have a sweeping second-hand?

Howdy ya'll - I sure would love to have a watch that has a continuous, smooth sweeping second hand but i'm not sure what movements provide that capability. Will watches with a Valjoux 7750 do that? Also, is the movement required for a smooth second hand very expensive? Can a watch like that be had for the sub $1,000.00 range?

I've seen Breitlings that tick smoothly and non-stop like that and it is entrancing.

Thanks for any information!
Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 PM
BDWF Watch Addict

Default Re: What movements have a sweeping second-hand?

Willin,

Any mechanical watch will have a smooth sweeping second hand. That is, any watch that is hand-winding or self-winding, but not quartz. Quartz watches are the ones that go tick... tick... tick.

Jeff
Old 03-16-2008, 10:01 PM
BDWF VIP

I think there are some quartz movements that look like they are sweeping. If you want a true sweep then the Seiko Spring Drive is it!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:15 PM
BDWF Watch Collector

You can find watches with a smooth second hand in
just about every price range! From Miyota automatics
starting as low as $79, to the Valjouxs going into the 100's.
Here's an example of a very inexpensive Seiko with a 21 jewel
movement from amazon.com!!
$65!!!
http://tinyurl.com/2qulr5
Old 03-17-2008, 01:26 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

I thought a sweeping hand was one that sweeps across the dial, as opposed to a second hand in a little subdial.

If you are looking for watches with smooth, 28800 bph sweeps then any recent ETA automatic will fit the bill for not much cost.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

I thought the definition of sweeping second was one that did not pause between seconds, but was in continuous motion.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:17 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Even automatics such as the ETA 2824 and the Valjoux movements have a slight "tick." It's barely noticeable, but it's there.

For an absolutely true no-stutter-whatsoever, you'll need to go for a vintage Accutron 214 movement. The so-called hummingbird movement is electric and doesn't tick - just smooth sailing around the dial. I have two but rarely wear them as they are kind of small.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 AM
BDWF Watch Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwimberly
Even automatics such as the ETA 2824 and the Valjoux movements have a slight "tick." It's barely noticeable, but it's there.

For an absolutely true no-stutter-whatsoever, you'll need to go for a vintage Accutron 214 movement. The so-called hummingbird movement is electric and doesn't tick - just smooth sailing around the dial. I have two but rarely wear them as they are kind of small.
The THINGS I continue to LEARN on here is JUST GREAT! ... ... ...
__________________________________________________ ____________________
  • ... A BIG "10Q" for THAT wonderful li'l "hummingbird" analogy! ...

[center:14a80lpz]... [/center:14a80lpz]
Old 03-17-2008, 07:02 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Actually, even tuning forks tick. They go through a reduction gear mechanism that steps the fork frequency from 720/360/300 hz to something more manageable, around 16hz. The human eye doesn't pick up the stop-start motion.

Generally, the following applies:

Spring Drive>Tuning Fork>hi-beat 36'000bph mechanical>Quartz Smooth Sweep (Seiko)>lo-beat mechanical/early electronic.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 AM
BDWF Watch Enthusiast

Okay guys, this is so basic to watches it's frightening that it has to be explained. A sweep second hand is a hand that measures the passage of seconds which emanates from the center point of the watch or clock and sweeps across the perimeter of the dial. It does not matter whether it sweeps with the (usual) one second increments of a typical quartz analog hand or whether it has the smoother appearance of a mechanical movement (the "smoothness" of the "sweep" being determined by the bph of the movement). For example, the Seiko 7S26 movement has a bph of 21,600 beats per hour whereas the ETA 2824-2 has a bph of 28,800. The 2 beats per second difference makes the sweep of the second hand on an ETA 2824-2 movement much smoother. Most UNITAS 6498 movements have a bph of 18,000 although there is, I believe, a 6498-2 with a bph of 21,600.

Now, back to the original question, a Valjoux movement usually counts of the continuous seconds via a small sub-dial, however, some dials using Va7750 movements do not use that sub-dial. In either case, if you want the function of a sweep second hand on a watch with a Val7750 movement, you need to activate the stop-watch complication.